In an effort to build a platform for the book I am writing and to encourage an open dialogue for moms about special needs, this fall I will start speaking at MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) groups in three States: Illinois, Indiana and Michigan.
I am in the process of preparing talks that revolve around special needs.
1) Unexpected Beauty (our family's story based on my book)
2) Loss and Grief in Motherhood (focusing on having a child with a disability and miscarriage)
3) Us and Them: How to help our kids be good friends to individuals with special needs by being good friends ourselves.
Do me a favor, answer my questions:
1. Do you have a child with a disability? How do your friends with typically developing kids encourage you in your parenting?
2. How do mothers in your circle of interaction hurt you by their insensitivity to your parenting challenges?
3. How do you teach your kids to be a good friend?
4. If you grieved the loss of a child through miscarriage, how long was your grief process?